Dwelaniyah Robinson: Mother who murdered her son after ‘campaign of violence’ imprisoned for 25 years | UK News

Christina Robinson had beaten her son with a bamboo pole and deliberately scalded him as punishment in the weeks before his death from a brain injury caused by shaking him or being thrown against something.

Friday 24 May 2024 16:43, United Kingdom

A mother who murdered her three-year-old son following a “campaign of violence” has been sentenced to life in prison with a minimum sentence of 25 years.

Warning: This story contains details that some may find disturbing.

Christina Robinson, 30, violently shook her son Dwelaniyah Robinson at the family home in Bracken Court, Ushaw Moor, Durham, causing him a fatal brain injury in November 2022.

During a three-week trial in Newcastle Crown Court, the prosecution said Robinson slapped and hit his son with a bamboo pole in the weeks before his death.

Christina Robinson. Photo: Durham Police/PA

After his death, investigators found a broken cane in his home that had traces of his skin and blood.

The court heard Robinson, a member of the Black Hebrew Israelite religion, claim that the Bible advised the use of the rod for the “correction” of children, weeks before she murdered him.

She also neglected him by leaving him alone at home and deliberately scalded him as punishment, causing severe burns that prosecutors say left him in agony.

Robinson, originally from Tamworth, Staffordshire, told the court her son’s burns occurred accidentally while she was washing him in the shower and she did not seek medical attention for him because she was embarrassed.

Richard Wright KC, prosecuting, previously said up to 20% of Dwelaniyah’s body was covered in burns which would have caused excruciating pain for several weeks, but Robinson never sought medical treatment.

Moment mother is arrested for murdering her son

Robinson was the only adult in the family home on Nov. 5, when her son suffered the brain injury that killed him, jurors were told.

She waited 20 minutes before calling 999, her phone records show she first called her husband, who was 240 miles away serving in the RAF at the time, and then used Google to search for ways to resuscitate a child.

When she called an ambulance shortly after 4 p.m., she said her son had choked on a cheese sandwich and was not breathing.

Emergency workers never found anything to suggest there was an obstruction, something that was later supported by medical experts.

He was rushed to North Durham University Hospital but was sadly pronounced dead a short time later.

Dwelaniyah was found with significant injuries all over his body, including severe burns to his buttocks and upper legs, which he suffered up to three weeks before his death.

He is believed to have suffered them by being immersed in a bath of boiling water, but instead of seeking medical treatment, Robinson wrapped him in bandages that he had ordered online, which is where he also sought medical advice.

A post-mortem examination found that he died from a head injury that could only have been caused by being shaken or thrown at something.

It showed that the young man had been the victim of a series of assaults and had suffered several non-accidental injuries.

Wright said: “In other words, someone had been deliberately hurting this child and had been doing so over a period of time.

“That person was his mother, defendant Christina Robinson.”

In his closing speech, Wright told the court that the boy was “subjected to a campaign of violence and cruelty by his mother for small mistakes.”

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Turner, lead investigator for Operation Aruana at Durham Police, said: “Dwelaniyah was a helpless child who had his life in front of him, but his own mother, someone he should have been able to help, was cruelly taken from him. “. trust, someone who should have cared about him.

“We may never know why or what caused Christina Robinson to do what she did. Her actions are inexcusable.”

Robinson was found guilty of murder and four offenses of child cruelty, which are said to have taken place in the weeks before Dwelaniyah’s death, when she was sentenced on Thursday, March 21.

She was also convicted of child neglect for leaving Dwelaniyah at home while she was having an affair behind her husband’s back.

Related Articles

Back to top button