Suicide note reveals top NIS spy’s battle with depression

A senior intelligence officer, who police say committed suicide, reportedly complained about his marital problems and added that no one should be blamed for his death.

Tom Adala, deputy director of the National Intelligence Service (NIS) headquarters in Ruaraka, was found dead at his home in Kirichwa Road, Kilimani estate in Nairobi, on Tuesday morning.

A nephew reported at the Kilimani police station that Adala shot himself in the head.

The bullet passed through the head on the left side and exited on the right. His body was found in the service house.

In the master bedroom, police found a black notebook in which Adala had summarized some of the problems that allegedly led to the suicide.

Rounds and magazines.

The book is now at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) office in Kilimani. It is considered a suicide note. The book is the size of a pocket diary.

Sources familiar with the matter told Nation that Adala had said he faced numerous challenges after separating from his wife. The couple was going through a divorce. Adala was the son of Otuko Adala, the first Kenyan ambassador to Russia from 1964 to 1968.

The elder Adala also served as president of the Luo Council of Elders. In the last communication to his family through a one-page note, Adala said that his children, who live with his ex-wife, should visit his grave.

Sources said Adala had shared with his colleagues the pain of separating from his wife.

At the end of the note dated June 2, which he signed, Adala wrote: “No one should be blamed for this.” Adala’s friends and colleagues, who spoke confidentially to The Nation, said he had been struggling with depression and even sought treatment.

Colleagues said the situation worsened when he was transferred to his new station as head of the Violence Against Extremism Unit during recent personnel changes at NIS headquarters. The transfer, according to friends and co-workers, was like a demotion.

“We visited him at his home several times when he did not show up for work after personnel changes. Adala wanted to resign but we urged him to stay,” said a senior officer who worked and interacted with him.

According to police, Adala’s nephew said he last saw him on Monday at 10 pm when he retired to his upstairs room.

The nephew said he also slept downstairs.

spent cartridge

He woke up on Tuesday morning and the maid told him that Adala had not shown up for breakfast at 9 in the morning.

The nephew said he went to see his uncle but did not find him. He asked the guard if his uncle had left at night but was told no.

Minutes later, he came across the body in the servant’s house. She then called other relatives who informed the police.

Senior police officers who responded to the scene found a pistol with a spent cartridge and a magazine with three bullets, according to the police report.

A spare magazine with 13 bullets was found in Adala’s bedroom. The suicide note was on the bed. It is unclear why no one in the complex heard the gunshot and at what time Adala had moved out of the main house.

The body lies in state at Lee Funeral Home. The Principal Secretary of the Interior, Raymond Omollo, lamented Adala as a dedicated officer.

“Adala was a wonderful friend to many,” the PS said in a post on Facebook.

Related Articles

Back to top button