Man died hours before his partner gave birth to their daughter | UK News

At an inquest into the death of Thomas Gibson, Rebecca Moss said that on the morning of June 7 last year she told him: “Wake up, it’s baby day” but he did not respond, so she called 999.

Tuesday 4 June 2024 22:59, United Kingdom

A pregnant woman tried to wake her 40-year-old partner before going to hospital to give birth, but discovered he had died after doctors misinterpreted an abnormal heart scan.

Rebecca Moss, from Stretford, Greater Manchester, said “wake up, it’s baby day” to Thomas Gibson as he attempted to perform emergency first aid, before an ambulance arrived and he was pronounced dead, Stockport Coroner’s Court heard.

Hours later, Moss gave birth to Harper.

During the inquest into his death, she said she woke up around 5.15am on June 7 last year, the date of her elective caesarean section, and went downstairs.

Moss said his partner was asleep on the couch. “She was trying to cheer him up and was telling him ‘wake up, it’s baby’s day,'” she said at the hearing.

“Tom didn’t respond, so I went over to the couch to kiss him. He was lying in his usual sleeping position. When I touched him, he was cold and stiff. He wouldn’t wake up.

“I called 999 immediately. I was asked to get Tom to the ground and perform chest compressions. I started chest compressions until the ambulance arrived.”

She also said the “shock, trauma and physical exertion” were “overwhelming” at 39 weeks pregnant, as she had to get him off the couch and perform chest compressions.

The inquest also heard a doctor at the hospital say that he had misinterpreted an electrocardiogram (ECG) taken 11 days earlier, when he had attended A&E with a serious stomach virus.

Gibson was physically fit but suffered from cramps and diarrhea for about three weeks before his death, the hearing was told.

He attended A&E at Wythenshawe Hospital on May 27 last year and was treated by Dr Oliver Handley.

The doctor discovered that his ECG showed signs of abnormality and referred him for a second opinion to a more senior figure, Dr Thomas Bull.

Dr Bull, the medical registrar, said the ECG was likely to be an abnormality which he described as an intraventricular block, which is “not an uncommon finding” and is not clinically “significant” without other heart-related symptoms.

“I advised him that if there are no overall cardiac symptoms, it would not require any investigation at this time,” Dr Bull said.

A subsequent analysis found that the ECG identified complete heart block, also known as third-degree heart block, the most severe type, which can lead to sudden cardiac death, according to the family’s attorneys.

Dr Bull added: “I can now see, in hindsight and hindsight, that there are abnormalities beyond what I could see present.”

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Stay up to date with the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Click here

This is a limited version of the story, so unfortunately this content is not available.

Open the full version

Gibson, who worked in a lumber yard, was released from hospital after no immediate treatment was deemed necessary.

They asked him to return in a week if his serious stomach illness had not improved.

But he was found dead 11 days later of sudden cardiac death, a pathologist concluded.

Lawyers for his relatives said Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust fully admitted responsibility for providing him with negligent medical care in the days before his death.

The investigation continues.

Related Articles

Back to top button