close
close
blog

Papua New Guinea landslide: More than 100 people believed dead

The landslide hit a remote area of ​​Papua New Guinea.

Warning: disturbing content

More than 100 people are believed to have died in a landslide in remote Papua New Guinea on Friday, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported.

The landslide reportedly hit the village of Kaokalam in Enga province, about 600 kilometers northwest of the South Pacific island nation’s capital, Port Moresby, at around 3 a.m. local time. ABC reports.

Residents say current estimates of the death toll exceed 100, although authorities have not confirmed this figure.

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

Villagers say the death toll could be much higher.

Porgera Business Women’s Association president Elizabeth Laruma told ABC that many houses were demolished by the huge landslide.

“It happened when people were still sleeping in the early hours of the morning and the whole town sank,” Laruma said.

“From what I can guess, this is more than 100 people buried underground.”

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

Photos and videos uploaded to social media show sights of mass destruction.

Rocks, mounds of earth and other debris have fallen on the town.

Some photos and videos circulating on social media show locals desperately pulling out people who had been trapped in their homes crushed by rubble.

“When this road closes, and I don’t know how long it will take, it will have a really big impact on people in terms of goods, fuel and services,” Laruma told ABC.

“It’s going to have a big impact on the lives of the people of Porgera and also on the mine.”

MORE TO COME

– Additional reporting, NZ Herald

Related Articles

Back to top button