close
close
blog

Jay Slater press conference: Mother of missing teen makes troubling admission as family digresses from briefing

Concerns continue to grow for Jay Slater, the 19-year-old who disappeared while on holiday with friends in Tenerife. And for worried mother Debbie Duncan, the last week and a half has been a nightmare.

Debbie, 55, headed to the Canary Islands with other family members after hearing that Jay had gone missing on the morning of Monday, June 17. A desperate search is still underway, and her loved ones still hold out hope that the bricklayer’s apprentice will be found safe and sound. Well.




Police searching for Jay are now focusing their attention on where the festival-goer’s mobile phone last rang as they returned to a ravine in a mountainous region of the island.

During a press conference today, Detective Mark Williams-Thomas, a private investigator who assisted in the Nicola Bulley case, pleaded that the two men Jay Slater went to the Airbnb with after the Sunday night rave ” present crucial information.” .

READ MORE: The missing Jay Slater ‘seen watching the Euro Cup in Tenerife’ claims the locals

READ MORE: Latest clues about Jay Slater’s disappearance in images: ‘last sighting’ and new photos from the festival

Explaining why Jay’s family did not participate in the conference, he said: “The family is very grateful that you are here. They appreciate that the press is a really important aspect of the story, but they are reluctant to talk because they really want to.” . work with the Spanish police and the Spanish authorities and they have not sanctioned this. We have to respect that.

The detective held a press conference.(Image: Reach PLC)

“Since I’ve been here and worked with the family, I spent yesterday and last night with them and they are a very, very close family and they support me a lot and their only mission, of course, is to find out what happened to Jay. They still live with hope that Jay will come back and he’s not safe, but he’s still alive.”

Here, the Mirror looks at Debbie’s heartbreaking struggles as she continues her agonizing wait for answers.

In an interview with Mail Online, school finance adviser Debbie spoke of her heartbreak and revealed she has now reached her “end of the woods”. Debbie, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, told the publication: “It’s been a week and it’s been horrible. I’ve barely slept and I’m on edge. The Spanish police are doing a good job and we’re updating.” from the consulate so we just put our faith in them.

He continued: “I know people in the UK who were at the festival have also come forward and are giving details of what they know, but they haven’t told me anything about that. Jay’s very good friends back home have also been there and “They’ve put up signs. They’re good kids and, like me, they just want him at home.”

Jay Slater disappeared in Tenerife(Image: COMPANY NEWS AND PHOTOS)

And sources told MailOnline the distraught mum is so tormented she is ‘on the verge of a nervous breakdown’. This comes as Debbie issued a five-word warning to those who have criticized the fundraiser organized for ‘Get Jay Slater Home’, which at the time of writing has raised over £35,000 and counting.

Expressing dismay at some speculation about Jay’s disappearance, Debbie asked internet trolls to remember: “This can happen to you.” On Facebook, Debbie admitted that she felt “disappointed” by some of the reactions she had seen online and wrote: “I’m really saddened by all your comments. You seem to be very upset about this GoFundMe page.

“I really hope I don’t take my son home in a body bag. Funds are not released and will not be released if they are not needed. “I really can’t believe the British public are not supporting me in trying to find Jay. This can happen to any of you someday.

Tormented Debbie has had to deal with a series of wild rumors, including some comparing her to Karen Matthews, the mother who, in 2008, hatched a twisted plot to kidnap her young daughter Shannon Matthews for ransom.

Responding to these cruel comparisons, Debbie has explained exactly why she has not gone out to look for Jay, despite having flown to the island. Speaking from the hotel where she and her family are staying, Debbie shared: “People keep asking on social media ‘why am I not up there?’ and calling me the new Karen Matthews. “I just can’t face it.”

She continued: “I’m exhausted. I’m still hopeful. I don’t feel negative yet. I know it’s five days. It’s not just that they said absolutely no. I don’t know what it’s been like.” like today because I’ve been advised to stay away because I’d just break down.”

Join the Irish Mirror’s breaking news service on WhatsApp. Click this link to get breaking news and the latest headlines delivered straight to your phone. We also offer our community members special offers, promotions and announcements from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can visit it whenever you want. If you are curious, you can read our Notice of Privacy.

Related Articles

Back to top button