Port Harcourt explosion suspect arrested

The Rivers State government said it has found the suspect who detonated an explosive device near the state-owned Presidential Hotel during a pro-police protest in Port Harcourt on Tuesday.

This came less than 24 hours after the State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Adaeze Oreh, alerted the management of public and private medical facilities in the state about the identity of the suspect, signs of injuries and the need to arrest him if They found it.

A substance believed to be dynamite exploded near the Presidential Hotel axis of Aba Expressway, causing panic in the area.

Oreh, while speaking to newsmen on Tuesday evening, said: “Now the Rivers State Ministry of Health is calling for an alert to all medical facilities in the state, both public and private, to be alert and watch out for an individual, a young man. man with a traumatically dismembered upper limb because this injury he suffered will require medical attention.

“If such individual and his accomplices are present at any of the premises, please immediately notify the Commissioner of Police, Rivers State and the Rivers State Ministry of Health.”

However, later on Tuesday night, Oreh told reporters that the yet-to-be-identified alleged attacker was rushed to the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital for treatment by his friends, who are now at large.

He explained that those who took the man to the center stated that he suffered a road accident when he arrived at the hospital.

The commissioner stated: “Following that call, our medical facilities in the state were on high alert and so when a young man was brought to the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital with suspected injuries sustained during what was said to be a traffic accident. accident, the medical personnel who were present to examine him and provide care were on alert.

“And they immediately recognized that the injuries observed on this individual were not those from a traffic accident, but rather resembled injuries that would have arisen from an explosion.

“The individual was transferred to the operating room for immediate resuscitation because at the time he was admitted he was semi-conscious.

“The medical staff did the needful and immediately informed the Rivers State Government. “He immediately informed the Commissioner of Police and the Rivers State Ministry of Health about the presence of that person in the premises, even as they provided him with emergency medical attention to resuscitate and resuscitate him.”

The commissioner, however, revealed that the suspect is now stable after receiving medical attention at the facility, saying: “We are working with the Rivers State Police Command and that is why the hospital has been fully secured, the facilities and The perimeter has been completely secured. .

“The patient is undergoing medical treatment. He is stable and the police are doing his part in carrying out the necessary investigations.

“And in this way, we are just seeking to inform the public that this is the update following the earlier incident today in Port Harcourt.”

Efforts to contact the state Commissioner of Police, Olatunji Disu, on Wednesday morning proved unsuccessful as his mobile phone was not connected.

When contacted, state Police Command spokesperson Grace Iringe-Koko said she was yet to obtain information on whether the alleged attacker had been found.

Iringe-Koko, a police superintendent, promised to find out and contact our correspondent but had not yet done so at the time of filing this report on Wednesday morning.

On Tuesday night, the State Commissioner of Police, Olatunju Disu, while confirming the explosion, said after preliminary investigations that the suspect actually detonated the explosive device.

Disu, however, did not link the incident to protesters supporting the barricade of the state’s 23 local government council secretariats earlier in the day, noting that the command has opened an investigation into the incident.

He said: “We received information that four persons in a white Corolla vehicle somewhere on Aba Road stopped their vehicle and there was an explosion.

“The information we gathered was that two of the occupants of the vehicle were injured, while two others got out, were put into the vehicle and drove away.

“We have activated all necessary units of the Nigeria Police Force within the state to keep an eye on these people and the victims in case they go for treatment somewhere.

“At the same time, we have brought in officers in charge of the bomb squad. They have been able to collect particles to confirm that some particles were discovered indicating that an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) was discovered.

Related Articles

Back to top button